I've had this dreadful cold for the last few days, and so has Matilda. We've gone from really bunged up to feeling moderately better to relapsing again.
When I feel this bad, I must say I'm so relieved to be able to work from home at my own leisure and not feel guilty for taking any time off (though I do tend to work late into the night once better to catch up - but just forget I said that!).
So how to make myself feel better:
1. Wrap up warm especially the head and neck area and take a trip to your local shop to gather reading material, the girlier the better. Chick lit, glossy magazines is where it's at when you're feeling poorly.
2. Pop a bag of popcorn in the microwave and watch in awe as it fills in with delicious warm salted popcorn, pour into a big bowl.
3. Boil a kettle, peel a lemon, cut in half and squeeze juice into a large mug with the lemon peel, a teaspoon of honey, a pinch of Cinnamon, some grated fresh ginger. A drop of whisky or brandy if you really want to work up a sweat then pour the boiling water over the mixture and let it infuse for about 5 minutes, give it a great big stir.
4. Fetch a nice wool blanket that's been warming on the radiator, switch on the TV, put on a colourful film something like Amelie or Moulin Rouge is perfect. Or a romantic number like An Education or the more slushy Pretty in Pink if you're feeling particularly miserable. Lie on a deep comfy sofa with a cosy wool blanket pulled over you with popcorn on one side, chocolate on the other with your hot drink to hand. Grab your magazines, put your feet up and keep warm. Don't forget your box of tissues not only for that runny nose but the emotional tears from watching all those girly movies.
5. Make sure you crank up the heating, light your favourite candle, surround yourself with pretty Spring flowers, take a long deep bath sprinkled with lavender and Eucalyptus essentials oils and finally, get your OH to massage your feet when they get home.
6. And if you have a toddler like me, well you can still do all the above but have a little one to snuggle up on the sofa, pure bliss.
So indulge yourself, throw out those guilty feelings take the day off work, follow my advice and you'll be feeling so much better in no time!